[RFC] Package download pages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:42:53 +1300

The current website layout for Versions/ and Download/ is a little
confusing and I would like to combine the two into a simpler form.

The main problem is the download links and section called Download/ is
just documentation about downloading and mirrors. The actual download
files themselves are under Versions/. The link between the two is an
easily overlooked link on Download/ and there are several click layers
to wade through before any actual package link becomes available.

I would like to make the Download/ index page a redirect to Versions/
index page, move the Download/ text to an intro for the Versions/ page,
and add some automated links from the Versions/ page straight to the
latest tarballs.
  Eventually I would like to link to the OS distro package sources of
the stale release(s) from here too and get rid of all those "where do I
find binaries for distro X" FAQs.

Comments? Other ideas?

Amos