Re: filtering HTTPS/CONNECT (summary and continuation of discussion)

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:48:49 +0100

mån 2012-03-19 klockan 11:35 -0300 skrev Marcus Kool:
> An unfiltered CONNECT (default for Squid) allows (SSH) tunnels.

Squid standard configuration only allows port 443, which restricts this
to those who intentioanlly want to pierce any network usage policy.

> I foresee a change. I foresee an increasing desire to be able to
> filter everything because of the need to remove the existing holes
> in security.

There is undoubtly such environments.

The question is if Squid is the right tool for this, or if it's in the
target for Squid.

> And yes I admit, I am doing a plea to give the required changes to
> filter *all* data a high priority.

But Open Source projects such as Squid is not driven by pleas.

> I never find clients who want to pay for functionality. They ask
> for it or stay quiet and simply conclude after an evaluation that
> the software does not meet the requirements. I think I envy you :-)

It's also a matter of informing clients about what they can get.

> How does the development team work? Do you want me to enter
> feature requests ?

Much better if you take active part in the development of the feature
you need.