Re: Multiple outgoing addresses for squid?

From: Chris Ross <cross_at_markmonitor.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:28:59 -0400

On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> 2012/3/30 Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>:
>>> Can tcp_outgoing_address take multiple addresses now? Does it just round-robin through them?
>>
>> It can only select one per request at the moment.
>
> Thats probably something we should fix. For now though an external ACL
> could deliver round robin answers, one per request - and it could look
> a tthe log file to learn about size of objects/ estimate bandwidth
> etc.

  Okay. First of all, I see that I need to learn more about the ACL capabilities to
understand the current options. :-) So, I see there are gobs of ACL types, and
the external ACL allows an external program to qualify membership in an ACL?
Looking at the documentation for external_acl_type it's a little unclear what the
protocol to the external ACL helper is, but. I assume it's not something as simple
as "ask this external program what the tcp_outgoing_address should be", which
would work great for what I'm looking to do. But, if I set up N ACL's to an external,
could I set some sort of argument to the helper? Or would I have to set up N ACL's
and N external_acl_type names so that I could identify which ACL was being
queried?

  Thanks. I'll dig more into the external ACL type. That might work, since it allow
setting a TTL which would avoid the issue that I was concerned about using some
sort of OS-based routing trickery, because I'd like all requests from the same client
to the same [destination] host to use the same address, at least for the few seconds
of a full page-load.

                        - Chris