Re: processing of ICAP Transfer-Ignore options

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:21:32 -0600

On 04/13/2012 12:15 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> fre 2012-04-13 klockan 11:44 -0300 skrev Marcus Kool:
>
>> There is no formal definition in the RFC of what a "file extension"
>> is. So the question is: is the file extension of
>> http://zzz.com/1409303.mp4?p1=2012-xxx
>> "mp4" ?
>
> The use of file extension is a major bug in the ICAP protocol imho.

Yes, but primarily because the "extension" is not clearly defined. This
is something we can address in ICAP Errata, I guess: Provide a
definition of what should be considered a "file extension", with a
disclaimer that not all agents will use the definition provided. It
would not solve all the problems but would be better than doing nothing.

>> If yes, I will file a bug report.
>
> I think so.

I agree that is is reasonable to ignore CGI query parameters when
looking for an elusive "file extension".

> But it's non-trivial to define what an file extension is in
> HTTP terms as you probably know.
>
> Last in URL-path?
> Embedded in query parameters?
> From Content-Disposition?
> Derived from Content-Type?

I wonder if there is some RFC that tried to solve this problem already.
We could consider their definition for the ICAP Errata then.

Thank you,

Alex.