Re: adding content to the cache

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:09:36 +0200

tis 2012-05-08 klockan 10:33 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:

> Further to this. The HTTP specs do make PUT request bodies cacheable
> under the URL the request specifies. Squid just does not support that
> edge case of HTTP/1.1 yet. It would be nice to get it implemented for
> the next Squid series (3.3+) but its not clear yet whether this is the
> best solution for you.

Where in the specs do it say that the request body may be cached? I am
not aware of any mentioning of caching of PUT request bodies. In
addition this body lacks any server side meta-information. Additionally
the server MAY apply processing on the stored entity. the 201/200/204
response to PUT also lacks most or all of the meta data.

> and why does that machine not simply pass squid a GET request for the
> URL to pre-cache the request for later use (no need to know what the
> content is in advance of the request, just GET with a max-age=0 control
> header)?

Further to this, you can use cache_peer + cache_peer_access etc to
define from where Squid shoult GET the response. It does not need to be
the actual requested server.