Re: squid on windows

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:11:59 -0600

On 05/23/2012 10:20 PM, kshitij wrote:
> Hi,
> I need some help to run squid-3.0 or squid -3.1 on windows platform.
>
> I already tried the squid-2.7 binary at
> http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/download/squid-2.7.STABLE8-bin.zip
> The squid-2.7 binary works great.
>
> Now I want to move further and need to implement some icap
> transformations. I understand that there is no stable binary
> available for squid3.0+ windows port.
> Would like to get some pointers on how to proceed such that a
> squid-3.0+ windows can be created
> Q1. Which branch of squid would be a good starting point for
> compilation on windows.

I am not a Windows expert so I hope others who recently worked on the
Windows port will chime in, but if you get no responses, start with v3.1
or later because v3.0 is no longer supported.

> Q2. Are there major stumbling blocks for a windows squid 3.0+ port or
> the effort is more on compilation and then testing it out.

I think the answer depends on your Squid needs. If you need just basic
proxying functionality and do not care about performance, then making a
successful build with minimal features may suffice. If your needs are
more complex, you may have to optimize and/or add code to use
Windows-specific APIs.

For example, eCAP should work on Windows in principle, but the dynamic
module loading code may need to be adjusted to deal with Windows DLLs.

Overall, it may be easier and faster to deploy Squid in a Linux virtual
machine running on a Windows host (while talking to your ICAP server
running on Windows if needed) than to port Squid to (and especially
optimize it on) Windows.

HTH,

Alex.