Squid-3.2 status update

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:12:15 +1200

Well, its been far too long since the last catch-up.

New features:
   There are no more features being accepted into 3.2 branch. Everything
new stays in trunk now.
   But don't take that as a barrier to submitting new features or
updates. Trunk is just as stable as 3.2 right now.

And about that...

We have done a great job this year removing bugs. Almost there, but not
quite finished. We have 8 major bugs remaining in the "blocker" list for
Squid-3.2. The rest are older bugs in the should-fix category.

On the other hand I have several testimonies now that 3.2 is running as
well or better than 3.1 even under large loads. The distro maintainers
are pushing to get a 3.2 stable release they can bundle. All of the
major distros are nw shippign 3.x by default or seriously planning a
transition away from squid-2. A 3.2 release will ease the support burden
on all involved quite a lot.

A quick review of the other major bugs shows that each will take some
large design and code changes to implement a proper fix or even a
workaround.

Are there any objections to ignoring these bugs when considering a 3.2
stable release:

3124 - Cache manager stops responding when multiple workers used
   ** requires implementing non-blocking IPC packets between workers and
coordinator.

3389 - Auto-reconnect for tcp access_log
   ** requires asynchronous handling of log opening and blocking Squid
operation

3478 - Host verify catching dynamic CDN hosted sites
   ** requires designing a CONNECT and bump handling mechanism

3517 - Workers ldap digest
   ** requires SMP atomic access support for all user credentials

Which would leave us with only these to locate (any takers?) :

3551 - store_rebuild.cc:116: "store_errors == 0" assertion
3556 - assertion failed: comm.cc:1093: "isOpen(fd)"
3562 - StoreEntry::kickProducer Segmentation fault

Amos