Re: some help about acls(not connected directly to squid )

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:58:39 +0200

lör 2012-06-30 klockan 00:46 +0300 skrev Eliezer Croitoru:

> while reading on squid-users i understood that dstdomain acl is faster
> then regex but i dont really know how they defer from each other on the
> implementation.

dstdomain is sortable which allows for efficient lookup algorithms to be
used. In Squid we use a splay tree for dstdomain based on reverse domain
names.

?

> i'm almost sure i have read something about rfc for acl and i have seen
> that exist this "http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2086.txt" rfc but not really
> sure where to start.

You need to start by defining your ACL requirements, what is it you need
to protect/limit and based on what?

> if anyone can give me some leads on even how to start thinking about acl
> logic\pseudo or a document that talks about acls logic i will be more
> then just happy.

ACL is a quite wide concept. And the acl term in Squid is not what you
normally consider an acl. Instead http_access is more of an ACL than the
acl directive. The Squid acl directive is a selector/match, not an ACL

There is too many ways to express ACLs, but a common form is like Squid
http_access lists.

Ordered list of

   selectors -> permission

where some implementations use the first matching entry (all selectors
match), some the last.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list has some introduction
and links to further readin on ACLs in general.