Re: [patch] change increment/decrement operators from postfix to prefix

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 08:21:45 -0600

On 07/02/2012 04:08 AM, Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> this patch (for trunk) is a first chunk of a janitorial task
> changing all operator++ and operator-- from postfix to prefix form
> where it doesn't impact the code flow. There are other cases where a
> more in-depth refactoring may improve readability, but I'll save them
> for more focused activities.

Ideally, this should not go in without some empirical evidence that it
helps performance, but I cannot object to this change. As you probably
know, I advocated using prefix increments in new code for a long time
(mostly for reasons associated with complex objects such as some iterators).

Please update Squid style guide on wiki to add this rule so that the new
code has fewer postfix increments.

> I'd like to be authorized to commit directly to trunk for this (and
> subsequent) chunks.

Please do a single merge or a single patch commit if possible. No reason
to pollute default bzr log with tens of identical comments, IMO. If you
merge from you branch, that branch may have hundreds of commits, of
course (they will all be hidden from the default bzr log).

Thank you,

Alex.