Re: Couple pointers

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 12:04:07 -0600

On 07/02/2012 05:42 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> ... is anyone able to come up with a script or tester to detect classes
> which violate our Big-3 constructor/destructor/assignment operator
> guideline? I know there are portions of the code which are broken today
> and it is easily overlooked, this would be a nice one to enforce
> automatically.

Hi Amos,

    Yes, Measurement Factory has purchased a Coverity static analysis
license to automatically detect bugs like the ones you describe. I have
run one Squid test during evaluation, and the tool did detect missing
constructor/destructor/assignment operators (among hundreds of other
bugs and non-bugs).

We are waiting for Factory sysadmin to set the tool up and for Squid
Project sysadmin to setup [automated] Squid tests the results of which
can then be somehow shared with Squid developers (we did get Coverity
permission to do that). I hope this will be done in July.

HTH,

Alex.