Re: Squid development environment

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 00:23:10 +0200

ons 2012-07-18 klockan 16:46 -0300 skrev Alejandro Riedel:

> I'm developing under Ubuntu 12.04. I've set up Eclipse & created a
> project using the 3.1 source code. Is that a good approach?

Sounds good.

Personally I still use vim as editor, but that's because it's what I am
used to. Eclipse helps a lot in navigating the code.

> For debugging, testing & deploying what do you use? I have a FreeBSD
> in which I'd like to deploy squid to later, but for now I'd like to
> remain using only one environment.

debugging: gdb with or without frontends. But remeber to pass the -N
command line argument when debugging.

testing: Depends entirely on what needs testing.

deployment: Varies a lot. Depends on the environment and speicfic needs.
Some times standard package as shipped in the selected distribution.
Some times custom built packages from a custom repository. Some times
locally built from source on each proxy. Sometimes all manual, sometimes
orchestrated using puppet etc.

> Is there any documentation, tutorial or anything that you think I
> might find useful?

Not very much I am afraid. There is the very incomplete programmers
guide, but please look around in the source don't feel afraid to ask any
questions here.