Re: Rock Store: suggestions on object size restriction to Ipc::Mem::pageSize()

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:22:04 -0600

On 07/20/2012 08:28 AM, Alexander Komyagin wrote:
> Hi! I've taken a look at the code related to object caching and found
> out only two places where this restriction (hard coded to 32K) is
> actually applied:
>
> 1) DiscIO/IpcIoFile.cc: when Squid worker pushes an i/o request to
> disker via IpcIoFile::push() and disker handles that request with
> DiskerHandleRequest(). IpcIoMsg object contains the memory page for i/o.
> Before and after i/o plain byte arrays are used for data storage.
>
> So why not to use an array of pages for i/o here instead of one single
> page?
> We know the exact object size here so we can easily calculate the number
> of pages needed to load/store and object.

Properly locating, locking, and securely updating a single shared page
is much easier than doing so for N pages. We will support multi-page
shared caching eventually, but it is far more complex than just
calculating the number of needed pages (N), especially if you do not
want to reserve all pages in advance.

You found where the 32KB page size limit is used. The other, far more
important limit that is implicit in the current code is the number of
shared pages per object that the current algorithms support. That limit
is 1.

> 2) Shared memory (MemStore, shm): Squid stores a map 'store_key -
> MemStoreMap::Extras', where MemStoreMap::Extras contains a memory page
> with stored data. Just like with IPC I/O, we could use an array of pages
> here and adapt MemStore::copyToShm() and MemStore::copyFromShm()
> functions.
>
> Are there any other places where Ipc::Mem::pageSize() restriction takes
> effect?
>
> I think all Squid users are interested in caching large objects. In
> particular, 32K is too small even to cache a GIF with a cute kitty!

Well, not all Squid users are interested in caching at all, but yes,
there is consensus that supporting shared caching of large files is a
highly desirable feature:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F

One of the biggest challenges for multi-page shared caching support is
to come up with a simple page allocation algorithm that

 (a) can be implemented in shared memory without complex locks;

 (b) will not require us to duplicate what the regular file systems do
to manage multi-block allocation; and

 (c) will not result in severe fragmentation and other issues that will
prevent its use in high-performance environments (which are the focus of
Rock store).

However, before all of that exciting work can happen, we should finish
cleaning up major Store APIs, IMO (e.g., remove global store_table and
add a dedicated memory cache class for non-shared caches). Otherwise, we
will constantly bump into current API limitations and bugs, while adding
more hacks and bugs.

Cheers,

Alex.