Re: Report on GCC additional warnings

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:50:17 -0600

On 10/25/2012 04:53 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Are there any other C++ relevant warnings people think we should test for?

I would add -Woverloaded-virtual to the tests:

-Woverloaded-virtual (C++ and Objective-C++ only)
    Warn when a function declaration hides virtual functions from a
    base class.

It would be good to investigate these as well:

-Wsign-promo (C++ and Objective-C++ only)
    Warn when overload resolution chooses a promotion from unsigned or
    enumerated type to a signed type, over a conversion to an unsigned
    type of the same size. Previous versions of G++ would try to
    preserve unsignedness, but the standard mandates the current
    behavior.

-Wextra
    This enables some extra warning flags that are not enabled by
    -Wall.

-Wextra enables some of the useful tests which have no corresponding -W
option but may drag in too much noise.

There are probably other useful tests. I only searched for those related
to C++ and not enabled by -Wall but it is easy to miss tests when
looking through the manual page.

HTH,

Alex.