Re: [MERGE] debugs message improvement: use HERE macro wherever sensible

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 13:25:47 +1300

On 06.11.2012 04:19, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 02:36 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> at lp:~kinkie/squid/sourceformat I have a work branch aiming at
>> using HERE in debugs() messages wherever sensible.
>> Apart from the main goal, there's a few typo fixes and a few wording
>> improvements. No functional changes.
>> The patch is ~11k lines so far, with ~1400 changes, I'm about
>> halfway through.
>> Any preference on how to review? Or may I just commit once it passes
>> full testsuite build?
>
> These kind of widespread changes will cause a lot of conflicts with
> pending patches but will not significantly improve code quality or
> functionality in most cases. Is it wise to merge this at all?
>
> If the decision is to merge, please merge into trunk _and_ v3.3 (at
> the
> very least) to minimize porting overheads.

I'm a bit reluctant to merge widespread polish again until a month or
two before 3.4 branches (March 2013 is what I scheduled for that). At
the rate bugs are (not) appearing in 3.3 that should not be long.

> My current preference is to change debugs() to use HERE when the
> surrounding code has to be changed anyway OR when there is a good
> reason
> to add HERE to that specific debugs() line.
>
> Long-term, we should consider making HERE in debugs() at level 2 or
> higher an automatic/default behavior. This will require some work,
> but I
> think it is possible, and I think it can even accommodate existing
> debugs() statements (with or without HERE) _without_ changing them.

Me too. If you are agreeing on that then it is a 1 line change to add
HERE every level 2+ ... and thousands of lines to remove cruft.

Amos