Re: [MERGE] debugs message improvement: use HERE macro wherever sensible

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:46:46 +0100

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2012 07:57 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>
>> +//TODO: just before branching 3.3, blanket-remove HERE from the source
>
> I disagree that this is a valid TODO (regardless of the version).

It's meant to be a "just before the next branching point". We have
~1500 calls to debugs() calls with HERE, ~3100 without. Maksing the
HERE symbol will make the effect go away, but it won't clean the mess.
Such an invasive patch was rejected last week, so I added the TODO to
remind to clean up the mess when the right moment in the release cycle
will come.

>> +#define HERE ""
>
> Have you checked that the compiler is smart enough to optimize this out?
> I suspect it is not. Please find a way to #define HERE so that the
> compiler can remove it. I recommend trying an inlined stream manipulator
> (that does not do anything).

Ok, patch attached.

>> On 11/10/2012 08:47 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> +1 from me.
>
>> On 11/10/2012 11:13 AM, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
>> revno: 12436
>
> Would it be OK to add a submission process rule that discourages folks
> from committing non-urgent changes as soon as they receive enough votes
> for a commit? This may not be the best example, but there is a growing
> number of cases where we have to adjust the freshly committed code
> simply because there was not enough time for others to review it before
> the commit?

Merging soon small changes allows small-time developers such as myself
to move on to the next topic sooner; it makes us more effective.
Whether this can help or harm the project more, is up for discussion.
I'd probably be the most affected by this policy, as I'm the one who
focuses on these janitorial tasks the most.

Kinkie