Re: ICAP vectoring points

From: Steve Hill <steve_at_opendium.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 10:49:01 +0000

On 30.11.12 17:18, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> but categorizing a response before it enters the cache does make a lot
> of sense in many cases.

It does, except you don't necessarily know what categorisation is
required at that point. Ideally it would be nice to categorise a
request in respmod_postcache, and then store the categorisation results
in the cache along side the object. That way if the object is later
retrieved by a user who requires different categorisations, it can be
analysed and those new results also attached to the object in the cache.
  However, that is going far beyond what squid is currently capable of.

> Please note that the amount of overhead may actually _decrease_ with
> this solution:
>
> pre-cache + ACLs: analyze each miss + filter each access.
> post-cache: analyze and filter each access.

My current solution is to maintain an internal cache of analysis results
within the ICAP server, so when a cached object is retrieved, only
analysis that hasn't already been completed must be done; any analysis
that was already done previously will be retrieved from the cache. This
gives the best of both worlds, although as mentioned above the ideal
would be to store the data alongside the object in the squid cache
rather than maintaining two independent caches.

--
  - Steve Hill
    Technical Director