Re: SQUID-2012_1 and squid-2.7

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:24:39 +0200

On 1/14/2013 11:40 AM, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the security update advisory is telling all 2.x releases are affected.
> I know a lot of people are still using 2.7STABLE9.
> will there be a patch for this ? Perhaps as an exception ?

Hey,

No, squid 2.7 is a very old version of squid which will not be
maintained by squid development team it's like that for a very long time.

People use older versions of squid because of one of couple(feel free to
add another one):
- the distribution default for squid is 2.7
- they think it's faster
- they *know* it's caching better
- they use store_url_rewrite
- they thing 2.7 is more stable.

For all the above squid 3.2 is better and for many it will seem like 3.2
is not as good as 2.7 but they are wrong.

3.2 doesn't have and will not have store_url_rewrite but hopefully 3.3 will.

couple facts:
- 2.7 is older and had more time in the stable cycle which makes it with
less critical open bugs for specific things.
- 2.7 doesn't support http/1.1
- 2.7 doesn't recognize many things that makes a response invalid for
caching
- a user\admin can use ridicules refresh_pattern and make cache hits go
up but disrupt the users web experience.

I had a question for a long time:
why repositories maintainers use squid and squid3 ??
Instead use squid for "squid3" and squid-old\squid-old-old etc.. for
older versions.

I haven't seen a dovecot2 package in any repository tree or
linux2-kernel or g++3 etc.

Best Regards,
Eliezer