Re: [RFC] Deprecate GCC2?

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:15:19 +0200

> I have not heard of anyone even trying to build it on GCC 2.x recently. The
> FreeBSD which shipped with it were deprecated many years back so the whole
> if-statement which triggered the bug report can probably be erased.

Will do that in an ad-hoc change to make backporting easier.

> I've +1 the patch in the bug report as it will fix the bug as stated with
> minimal change. Although if you wish to modify it slightly to drop the GCC
> 1.x test entirely I'll also +1 that.

Hi,
  committed the bug report patch with a slight variation (enabling
-Werror -O2 for clang).

Something I realized while testing this: ecap cannot be built with
clang, regardless of this patch, as clang is apparently more
restrictive than gcc in this bit:

/usr/include/libecap/common/area.h:60:77: error:
'does_not_support_comparisons' is a private member of 'libecap::Area'
template <typename T> bool operator ==(const Area &a, const T &) {
return a.does_not_support_comparisons(); }

> PS. The "official" line from me is that we require 4.x to build Squid-3.1
> and later. Squid-3.2 requires a recent 4.6+ version to build reliably due to
> the increasing amount of C++11 support in use.

Given your statement, what I would like to do have the build stop at
configure time for trunk on gcc < v4 (with the necessary headroom to
support the same thing for other compilers as well), and add a
configure option --disable-compiler-version-checks which allows the
build to go through for admins who Know What They're Doing(tm).
Comments?

--
    /kinkie