Re: [RFC] upgrade for helpers config.test scripts

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:56:46 +0200

> To resolve this I propose changing the config.test files into small M4
> scriptlets which can be included directly into configure at bootstrap time.

Devil's in the details.. m4 has no namespaces and scriptlets can leave
messes behind. Do you have any specific idea on how to do it? Unless
the inclusion is done with very unsofisticated tools.

> Pros:
> * we gain a huge amount of information from existing configure.ac tests
> * we gain ability to run autoconf checks in the test scriptlets
> * we can push test results back to the main configure.ac cache from the
> scriptlets for faster overall process
>
> Cons:
> * we lose the ability to drop-in third party helpers and build as if they
> were part of the Squid sources.
> However I am not aware of any downstream distro packagers actually making
> use of this ability so it should not be a big loss.
>
> Opinions?

The current situation is crappy. Externally-supplied helpers should be
fully external, and shouldn't expect to be built as part of squid or
even in the squid sources.
So I fully +1 on the objective, and I'd like us to elaborate a bit
more on how to reach it.

--
    /kinkie