Re: There was a talk about some new storage engine??

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 14:50:01 +1200

On 1/05/2013 2:07 p.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> If I remember right there was a talk about a new storage engine
> support???
>
> What was it about?
> How about support for general fast object storage engines?
>
> Eliezer

Are you referring to the conversation on IRC #squid channel a few weeks
back?
That was about Cloud storage engines as Squid cache_dir. Which is an
interesting idea, so far as I know there was no follow-through on
getting anything done.

In theory Squid can use any kind of backed at all for cache_dir storage.
It just needs a DiskIO module created to abstract the particular backend
into the API Squid uses internally.
There are caveats around what I/O calls the backend can support vs what
is requried, and how efficient accessing it is in comparison to simpler
things like local disks.

Amos