building helpers external to squid sources

From: Chris Ross <cross_at_markmonitor.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 15:06:59 -0400

  I've been working on a couple of helpers for our internal use. So far, I've been trying to mirror the [build] structure of the shipped helpers, and this works fine, if I copy them into the squid sources and patch the Makefile.am/in. But, I was wondering if there is a method someone else has used to build helpers for squid without having to co-locate the source. I want to be able to easily track updates to squid from the core distribution, so I don't want to co-locate our internal helpers. I can copy them into the tree and patch, as noted, but I wondered if someone else had come up with a better way.

  Thanks for any and all suggestions/thoughts.

                       - Chris