Re: external_acl helper question

From: Chris Ross <cross_at_markmonitor.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 12:43:49 -0400

On May 22, 2013, at 12:55 , Alex Rousskov wrote:
> If your external ACL can make a decision earlier (e.g., during
> http_access checks), then you can use helper annotations API to record
> that external ACL decision as annotations and then use a "note" ACL to
> pick the right outgoing address depending on the previously recorded
> annotations. The "note" ACL is fast.
>
> This solution is available for a patched trunk-based code. Numbered
> releases do not support the "note" ACL yet, and the trunk patch
> acceptance got delayed due to new features being added to the project
> scope during patch review on squid-dev. See the "note acl" thread.

  So, I've been looking at 3.HEAD and am trying to make sure I understand
what you're suggesting here. I see now that it has made it into trunk.

  The outstanding question is how to have an external_acl helper, assumedly
called by an http_access line, return the annotation to then later be matched
with a "note" acl ? This was the mechanism you were suggesting, correct?

  If you have a quick pointer to the mechanism needed to return a note
from the external_acl helper, that would be appreciated. This would be
the "helper annotations API" you referred to, I presume. Thank you.

                        - Chris