Re: Do we have any connection with RH squid maintainer?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:58:54 +1200

On 4/06/2013 8:48 p.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I was wondering about the major bugs that was found in 3.1 that RH and
> therefor CentOS doesn't have in their RPMS.
> If we had someone that is connected to RH squid maintainer we could
> push some fixes to the enterprise rings and get more feedback.
> I am not suggesting using them as Guinna pigs but puss squid newer
> versions to the major vendors.
> So who do we care about? or we don't care about anyone?
>
> Eliezer

We care about everyone, but do not have the time or energy to support
silent distros. I'm kind of working around in a cycle, Gentoo were
updated earlier this year, Debian just recently got out of freeze. Your
push of unofficial CentOS packages has been a welcome step forward
there, if you are interested in pushing in other areas of the
Fedora/RHEL/CentOS chain that would be a great help.

The top food chains for Squid seem to be Gentoo, Fedora, Debian. The
BSD's are still a mess of cross-pollinating packages. The remainder are
largely walled-silos with no transparency (Mandrake, MacOS, Solaris
looking at you), or build-it-yourself requirements for users (Slackware
et al.).

If you are interested in getting into the RHEL food chain, Jiri Skala's
details can be identified from the info at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/RedHat (its been a few years,
so I'm not sure if/how he is still involved) and the team packaging for
Fedora can be identified in the Packaging Information linked from
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Fedora.

Amos