Unsure about the current state of maximum_object_size

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:00:43 +0300

I am not sure if this is how it suppose to be or not.
in the squid.conf I am using:
#objects size
maximum_object_size_in_memory 20 MB
maximum_object_size 256 MB
cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache/squid 40000 16 256

when the above is used I see a lot of low hit rates on large objects
such as a nice 22 MB file.
I then added the max-size=256000000 to the cache_dir and it seems to
make the big difference.
I am uncertain what we decided about it??
if there is a must on the need of max-size=x bytes we should consider
adding it to the default cache_dir directive and as a must.

I myself thing it's good to know what is the max size of the cache_dir size.
what do you think it should be tuned by? max_onbject_size pr max-size?

Eliezer
(Amos I had some mails unsent to your mail server for 5 days so testing)