HTTP/2.0 implementation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 01:07:30 +1200

The HTTPbis WG is on the verge of producing a draft for implementation
of HTTP/2.0. The formal draft is expected to be published in the next
few days, a preview is available at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-unicorn-httpbis-http2-00

I have been experimenting with the frame model of transfer for some
months now and come to the conclusion that we will have to do some deep
overhaul in places to handle the framing difference. Particularly the
client-side and client-streams components will need to handle fragmented
headers as it in explicitly permitted now to send headers in multiple
64KB blocks - where we currently have an upper limit of 64KB. We will
also need to do an extensive check of the server-side and store code to
ensure all code is being funneled through framing APIs instead of
writing directly to client sockets at times as is done now.
client-streams can provide a useful model there for how to pass the
frames around but a quite different (simpler) implementation will be needed.

I am hoping that we can get 3.4 out soon and begin work on adding
initial 2.0 support to Squid in the 3.5 development cycle.

Amos