Re: steady peer connection pool

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 08:51:32 +0200

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 09/21/2013 04:38 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>> Amos already answered very fully.
>> To me, this just seems a worthwile optimization.
>> Background neighbor probe with dummy request and cache_peer idle=num
>> seems reasonable in terms of effectiveness and implementation effort;
>
> Unless we bombard a peer with new connections every few hundred
> milliseconds, the effectiveness of the above combination (for the
> problem at hand) would be close to zero. To solve the problem, the
> criteria for opening a new connection should be "not enough opened
> connections" rather than "we have not probed that peer for a while".
> While you can emulate the former by using small timeouts, the overheads
> make such emulation prohibitively expensive.

Why do you say that? Let's say we split the parameter into an high and
a low watermark (min-idle and max-idle). In the pconn cleanup, if
we're above max-idle, we start closing some pconns, if we're below we
start more aggressively "probing" forcibly using new conns (see point
1), and adding these to the pconns pool. Sure, it won't _fix_ the
problem but at least it'll make it a bit better, won't it? After all,
it's just the way Apache handles the idle workers pool, so it's also
pretty well understood by system administrators.

  Kinkie