Re: SMP cache memory

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:42:26 -0600

On 09/25/2013 08:56 AM, Marcos A. Dzieva wrote:

> Because my machine squid does not use the entire memory (cache_mem 25600
> MB), + - 3GB is used?

This sounds like a squid-users@ question rather than a squid-dev@ one,
but is it possible that your traffic just does not have enough objects
between 1KB and 32KB in size to fill 25GB of RAM cache? One way to test
that theory is to study access logs. Another is to start Squid without
workers but lower the maximum_object_size_in_memory limit to 32KB to
mimic the shared memory cache limitation.

> memory_replacement_policy heap GDSF

FYI: The above has no effect on shared memory cache.

> maximum_object_size_in_memory 10240 KB

FYI: The shared memory cache cannot store objects exceeding 32KB in
size. The pending Large Rock changes will remove that limitation.

What do two cache manager mgr:storedir queries, sent a few hours apart,
show? Does the memory cache grow? Does Squid think the shared memory
cache is full?

HTH,

Alex.