Squid 3.4.0.1 configurator problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 04:02:24 +1200

Ping Christos, Alex, and anyone else interested...

   Last I saw on the new strict configuration issues was that Alex was
requesting final resolution of the squid.conf syntax for regex pattern
tokens in strict parse mode before it goes to 3.4. That objection is
essentially blocking 3.4.0.2 release which requires several of the other
fixes in the patch.

Christos, Do you have any unseen progress on that last remaining piece
of the new parser?

IMO;
  I have kind of been favouring regex( some (pattern) ) since we have
now added function(...) style to squid.conf for parameters(things). Note
that brackets can be easily counted to skip the patterns internal ( and
) groupings and \( \) literals, leaving an easily identifiable
terminator character for regex(...)some_garbage_token .

  I am objecting to the suggested use of // on grounds that it is too
easily confused with perl regex s/pattern/g syntax and if admin start
entering patterns from that regex language syntax into squid.conf
GNU-regex parser undefined problems will arise in ways hard to debug.
However we can always add preg(/pattern/) in future when we add support
for that expression type.

What say you?

NOTE: I am forced to stick a flag in the sand and say if we do not at
least get discussions heading in a useful direction by the end of this
month (any day now!) I will be forced to revert that functionality from
3.4 branch and get on with the beta cycle. Which would be rather
unfortunate for all the useful progress it contains.

Amos