Re: stringng-cherrypick r12764

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:47:15 +0200

> If you recall that side project I was doing ever now and again to improve
> the compiler warnings situation. -Wshadow got done but -Wcasting and
> -Wconversion and a few others are still very much TODO.
>
> The situation as it stands for conversion is that *certain* very specific
> dangerous conversions are highlighted as errors by the compilers I refer to
> in commit messages as "strict" (clang, ICC and Sun Studio mainly). However
> the vast majority of conversions are considered safe by compilers and they
> all only produce warnings which we are *not yet* catching with Squid compile
> flags.
> If you build with "-Wconversion -Wsign-conversion -Wtraditional-conversion"
> on a recent GCC you will see a list of what needs investigating still.
> (sorry have not yet made bugs to track them).

How about proceeding like this: merge as-is and trust the callers to
know what they're doing, so that I can spend some time on implementing
these flags? It'll be tedious work, but it shouldn't require too much
brainpower. The alternative (blocking StringNG until the conversions
work is done) would stall StringNg even more :(

--
    /kinkie