Re: Revised approach to fixing configuration syntax

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 04:51:13 +1300

On 28/09/2013 4:20 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Your call regarding v3.4, but I suggest the following for that branch:
>
> - Undo recent parsing changes.
>
> - Add simple, disabled-by-default support for whitespaces in ACLs:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~measurement-factory/squid/conf-quoted-str
>
> This way, v3.4 syntax and parsing code remain pretty much the same as in
> v3.3 but addresses the most pressing need (spaces in ACLs). The code in
> the above quoted branch may need some review and massaging to get it
> into v3.4, but nothing major (the code is working in production), and we
> can help with that. For example, one must change the default for
> configuration_includes_quoted_values and may rename that option.

I have done this as suggested. I ran it past the default squid.conf, all
the reported squid.conf regressions I could find, and a few extreme
made-up edge cases. It worked successfully on all these.

To avoid anyone thinking there was useful work to do in 3.4 I have
removed all the XXX and TODO added by that branch rev.12733. Then added
the missing documentation and usage examples. I have left the directive
name as-is because it was named that way in 3.4.0.1 and some testers are
already using it. If we need a renaming that should happen during the
major upgrade planned for 3.5.

Amos