Re: [RFC] rename mime.conf

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 15:45:50 +0200

On 17/11/13 05:11, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> >OK then!
>> >It's a strike two for them.
> Yes unfortunately.
>
>> >I do not know exactly what they do think about the naming but it appears
>> >to me that if it was changed in at-least one major\big player then there
>> >is no need to change it.
> At east one of the others is pointing Squid to load the OS provided
> mime.table which maps a regexs of file prefix bytes to a content-type
> and does not include the extra columns Squid is expecting (thus is loads
> them as "").
>

> I like your idea of moving the file contents into squid.conf proper.
> Although I dont have any idea how widely it is altered by admin.
> I will keep thinkign on it a bit before actually doing anything.
What I was thinking was something like this:
mime_types "file_name.ext"
explicitly in the squid.conf.
Not exactly like "include" to still leave if possible squid.conf simple.
In a case the parser will not find this explicit line it would declare
it as e warning or an error and which we can decide exactly on.
This way a simple startup will result in a message that will force(I am
not happily wants to do that) the admin the meaning of the file.
 From the first admin it is simpler.

So summary:
mime_table /usr/local/squid/etc/mime.conf
will be forced to meet a specific syntax.

As I read the file I see it has not even met a basic common syntax with
the /etc/mime.conf.
A simple test of the mime.conf file can be done using:(idea pseudo)
if (line =~ /^[a-zA-Z0-9\/\-\.]+\$/) {

   echo "warning this file seems to contain some weird syntax"
}
##END

An exit code will be nice if it's critical but I think that a warning
for each and every line in the file will with no doubt make the Admin
understand that there is bug-report that should be checked.
(I do like the admin and this is why I think it's good for him to have
these warnings)

Eliezer