Re: Large rock problem

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:44:42 -0700

On 12/01/2013 04:20 AM, Ayham Abou Afach wrote:

> um testing Squid bzr with large rock support and facing the following
> problems :

Which bzr branch? To test Large Rock support, you should be using
https://code.launchpad.net/~measurement-factory/squid/collapsed-fwd

> -I can't create rock DIR with more than 32768 slot size . after
> increasing this value i got error with assertion failed

Why do you want to increase the slot size? The 32KB slot size limit does
not limit the size of the responses that Large Rock can store. It comes
from shared memory-related limits unrelated to caching. In most cases,
you should not specify the slot size to let Squid pick the "best" one.

> -after starting squid with any rock store it starts using it for some
> time ( 1 or 2 hours ) and then it stops reading or writing any thing to
> disk ( disk hit 0% ) and it seems like the rock dir is disconnected , i
> need to restart the proxy to see the disk again

Any potentially related warnings or errors in cache.log? What does cache
manager mgr:storedir page say before and after that "hit 0%" happens?
How do you know that Squid is not writing anything to disk?

> have you noticed problems like this ???

The first one is a misconfiguration -- we should document and handle it
better than assert, but other than that, it is not a real problem. As
for the second problem, I have not seen Squid stopping disk I/O after
hours (and days) of use. More information is needed to troubleshoot it.

HTH,

Alex.
P.S. I disagree that these questions should be posted to squid-dev
(because they are not related to Squid development) and recommend that
you continue this thread on squid-users. Your call which mailing list to
use, but please pick one and stick with it.