Re: [RFC] Squid process model and service name impact

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:05:27 -0700

I wrote a detailed point-by-point response, but decided to delete it. I
doubt it would bring us closer to an agreement because we are still
looking at the problem from two different angles:

On 01/28/2014 05:29 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Lets look at the BNF:
>
> FOO.pid = chroot pid_filename
>
> chroot = {squid.conf chroot} | "/"
>
> pid_filename = {squid.conf pid_filename} | DEFAULT_PID_FILE
>
> DEFAULT_PID_FILE = {./configure --with-pidfile} | ( PREFIX "/squid.pid" )
>
> PREFIX = {./configure --prefix} | "/"

> I am proposing we can do with a simpler setup:
>
> FOO.pid = chroot DEFAULT_PID_PATH "/" service_name ".pid"
>
> chroot = {squid.conf chroot} | "/"
>
> service_name = {squid -n FOO} | "squid"
>
> DEFAULT_PID_PATH = {./configure --with-pidfile} | PREFIX
>
> PREFIX = {./configure --prefix} | "/"

The primary point I am trying to get across is that we need this:

  file_location = where_others_want_it | where_admin_wants_it.

There ought to be an option to set the thing directly and explicitly in
squid.conf. That is the critical interface point. We need to dance from
that point. Once that interface is provided, we can optimize, enhance,
protect, etc. to accommodate others (developers, builders, system
integrators, OS distributors, etc.).

And yes, things like chroot muddy the waters a little, but that is no
excuse for hiding a straightforward way for setting the file location,
to the extent possible, overwriting all other algorithms designed
primarily with other folks in mind.

Note that this logic should apply to pretty much all Squid files IMO,
not just the PID file. And the "admin" here is the person writing
squid.conf and starting Squid.

Cheers,

Alex.