Re: Vector vs std::vector

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:37:33 -0700

On 01/30/2014 12:14 PM, Kinkie wrote:
> Ok, here's some numbers (same testing methodology as before)
>
> Trunk: mean RPS (CPU time)
> 10029.11 (996.661872)
> 9786.60 (1021.695007)
> 10116.93 (988.395665)
> 9958.71 (1004.039956)
>
> stdvector: mean RPS (CPUtime)
> 9732.57 (1027.426563)
> 10388.38 (962.418333)
> 10332.17 (967.824790)

OK, so we are probably just looking at noise: The variation within each
data set (1.4% or 3.6%) is about the same or more than the difference
between the set averages (1.8%).

We will test this in a Polygraph lab, but I would not be surprised to
see no significant difference there as well.

> Some other insights I got by varying parameters:
> By raw RPS, it seems that performance varies with the number of number
> of parallel clients in this way (best to worst)
> 100 > 10 > 500 > 1

Sure, any best-effort test will have such a dependency: Too few
best-effort clients do not create enough concurrent requests to keep the
proxy busy (it has time to sleep) while too many best-effort robots
overwhelm the proxy with too many concurrent requests (the per-request
overheads grow, decreasing the total throughput).

Cheers,

Alex.