Re: Fwd: HTTP/1.1 revision status [was: HTTP/1.1bis draft -26]

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:16:31 +1300

On 2014-02-11 08:20, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> mån 2014-02-10 klockan 21:48 +1300 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>> FYI for anyone interested in the HTTP/1.1 compliance project or
>> related
>> work. The HTTPbis drafts are now etched in stone.
>>
>> You can find links to the HTTPbis work on 1.1 and 2.0 protocols here:
>> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/wiki
>

> Is the HTTP/2.0 work also finished? Or is that still work in progress?

No, 2.0 is still work in progress. Solid enough to code, but not
production ready yet.

Martin said a few weeks back that he intends to get that to similar
stage by June this year. BUT, the WG are still arguing over HPACK
compression and have not yet moved on to optimizing header field-value
in any significant way. Then there is the explicit-proxy discussions.
All just theory at present with no fully working designs. Until the dust
on that settles I am very doubtful we will have a real finalized 2.0
draft.

> Have any analysis been made on the impact of HTTP/1.1bis and maybe even
> HTTP/2.0 on Squid code?

HTTP/1.1bis has almost no impact on Squid trunk. There are a few things
which we need to re-code a few sections for (URL #fragments now
permitted, stricter vs. tolerant parsing rules, and case-sensitivity to
enforce) some others have already been recoded in the last year or so
when HTTPbis reached consensus without much notice from the community.

HTTP/2.0 is requiring a fairly major redesign to handle the frame
multiplexing, flow control and encodings. First stages of redesigning
the architecture in Squid for that are well underway already. See the
"TcpReceiver" threads for the I/O redesign (verified +3-6% performance
improvement just from that code change), and the parser-ng branch in
LaunchPad for the parser redesign (working but no 2.0 specific pieces in
there yet). Support for Upgrade: and ALPN are now mandatory and need to
be implemented. The 2.0 code itself is quite simple once that is all
done.

Amos