Re: Fwd: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:09:37 -0700

On 02/13/2014 03:32 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tor 2014-02-13 klockan 09:43 -0700 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>
>> I am not sure which approach is the best, but I am sure we need to
>> clearly define and document the new semantics to avoid repeating -N
>> problems which were caused primarily by folks (including myself)
>> interpreting what -N means differently and changing the code according
>> to their own misguided interpretation.
>>
>> For example, we can define the following three modes:
>>
>> "daemon" -- Master process forks and uses setsid (what else?). No other
>> effects on Squid. For example, SMP works by forking kid processes as
>> needed. Meant for stand-alone execution. This is the default (enabled
>> when no related command line options are given).
>
> yes.
>
>> "no daemon" -- "Daemonization" steps listed in the above paragraph are
>> disabled. Thus, the master process does not fork and does not use setsid
>> (what else?). No other effects on Squid. For example, SMP works by
>> forking kid processes as needed. Meant for systemd and such.
>
> In my mind this is what -N is meant to be.

I agree now, but I did not realize that when the SMP code was written,
unfortunately.

>> "no forking" -- Squid runs a single Squid process, which works both as a
>> master process and the only worker process. No kid processes, no SMP.
>> Meant for debugging and triage.
>
> Exactly. "no forking" is more of a debug mode. Maybe time to add a
> --debug=... option to set various debug flags?
>
> --debug=nofork
>
> And also merge the -X flag into this.

No objections from me, especially if -X will be deprecated or removed
during this change. Alternatively, we can extend the -X option itself:

  -X # just like it is now, no changes

  -X nofork
  -X monolith # I hate negative names like nofork :-)

  -X ALL,9 # because the default ALL,7 us not always enough.

Thank you,

Alex.