FYI: the C++11 roadmap

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 02:21:40 +1200

I have just announced the change in 3.4.5 regarding C++11 support and
accompanied it with a notice that GCC verion 4.8 is likely to become the
minimum version later this calendar year.

As it stands (discussed earlier):

* Squid-3.4 needs to build with any GCC 4.0+ version with C++03.

* Squid-3.6 will need to build with C++11.

* The Squid-3.5 situation is still in limbo and will depend on how long
we go before it branches.

We have a growing list of items needing C++11 features for simpler
implementation. At this point I am going to throw a peg out and say Sept
or Oct for starting to use C++11 specific code features.

That should still allow us enough time to complete and branch 3.5. But
if feature completion takes too long, so be it.

Cheers
Amos