Re: Announcing new external_acl helper: delayer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 01:35:27 +1200

On 5/09/2013 6:23 a.m., Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've developed a new external_acl helper. Its purpose is to add an
> artificial delay to requests flowing through squid. It is orthogonal
> to delay pools, the delay is added BEFORE serving the request (which
> can then be throttled by delay pools or not).
> It uses the multi-slot helper API - it is actually meant to be an
> example on how to write a multi-slot helper.
>
> It's available at lp:~kinkie/squid/delayer
> (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kinkie/squid/delayer/files)
>
> If you can find the time to check it out, I'll then prepare an
> announcement for squid-users and a wiki page for it.
>
> Thanks

(following up on IRC request to merge this helper).

We are now getting a few squid-users queries about how to prevent fast
authentication loops, delaying only MISS's etc so there is some need out
there for this helper.

Quick audit of the helper find:

* Please embed the documentation in pod2man style instead of using
standalone README file and internal # comments.
  You can find examples of this in most of the existing bundled helpers.
  for example helpers/basic_auth/DB/basic_db_auth.pl.in

* Please remove the old squid copyright. Claim for yourself in the
pod2man position at end of file for bundled perl helpers please.

Have not reviewed the perl code at this point.

Amos