Re: Announcing new external_acl helper: delayer

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 16:11:18 +0200

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 11/05/2014 9:17 a.m., Kinkie wrote:

>>> (following up on IRC request to merge this helper).
>>>
>>> We are now getting a few squid-users queries about how to prevent fast
>>> authentication loops, delaying only MISS's etc so there is some need out
>>> there for this helper.
>>>
>>> Quick audit of the helper find:
>>>
>>> * Please embed the documentation in pod2man style instead of using
>>> standalone README file and internal # comments.
>>> You can find examples of this in most of the existing bundled helpers.
>>> for example helpers/basic_auth/DB/basic_db_auth.pl.in
>>>
>>> * Please remove the old squid copyright. Claim for yourself in the
>>> pod2man position at end of file for bundled perl helpers please.
>>>
>>> Have not reviewed the perl code at this point.
>>
>> Hi,
>> both done.
>>

> More audit:
>
> * s/external auth helper/external acl helper/

Ok

> * for command line options please support and prefer long names.
> --debug, --delay, --log etc

Done.

> * I am trying to make the short -d option mean debug and -v mean
> verbosity level across all helpers.
> - A simple helper like this does not really need levels of verbosity.
> Can you please change -v to -d|--debug and pick a different short name
> for the delay period? -w|--wait might be appropriate.

Done.

> * "gets as input the input received by squid AS RECEIVED FROM SQUID"
> makes little sense still.
> - Perhapse "gets the full line received from Squid"
> - Please also use '.' and capitals where appropriate to make it clearly
> a paragraph.

Ok

> (sorry perhapse I should have reminded you earlier of this:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ProgrammingGuide/ManualDocumentation)

Needed some adaptation and some sections seem redundant for such a
small project, but done.

> * SYNOPSIS should only contain the one-liner command-line grammar(s),
> may contain multiple one-liners if there are different modes of
> opearation. The detail explanations of each switch should be in OPTIONS.

Ok.

> * the squid.conf documentation, paragraphs 2-4, currently in DESCRIPTION
> should be titled CONFIGURATION.

Done.

> * README is now obsolete, it needs to go.

Will disappear once I integrate with squid source tree and facilities
(e.g. @PERL@, manpage generation etc).

> * the $mydoc thing should probably go down below the boilerplate in the
> code area.

Moved to end.

> - is there any way we can make -h extract the pod2man details for
> displaying as help text without duplicating?

There's way too much stuff in there for an help message, unfortunately.

Thanks

--
    Francesco