Re: [MERGE] Squid Patch (revision 10487)

From: Michael Pye <michael_at_ulimit.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:25:06 +0100

On 2014-05-11 18:40, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Not as yet. Henrik pointed out a problem that needed testing:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/201005/0156.html
>
> I dont think we send only-if-cached any longer.
>
> Can you confirm that, or answer Henriks question?

Sorry - I can't confirm that, I don't know the internals well enough
for that.

I am still interested in getting this patch to be either included or
tested however. If I can help on testing this please let me know.

I have compiled a version with the patch on squid 3.4.5 and it appears
to do what we want, however it seems to have a bug. When a stale object
needs updating, it does query the sibling, and if it has a fresher copy
it is returned. If however the sibling does not have a fresher copy the
original squid queries the origin, but seems to keep the "Age:" header
from the last stale request, so although it has updated the object it
will expire quicker than it should as it has an incorrectly calculated
"Age:" header on it. I assume this is due to the patch introducing
something new that is not being considered when refreshing from a
sibling. Anyone interested in helping on this ?

Many thanks
Michael