Re: [RFC] connections logging

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 06:41:31 +0200

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:26 AM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2014 03:04 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> I am playing with the idea of adding a new log file to record just the
>> connections handled by Squid (rather than the HTTP request/reply
>> transactions).
>>
>> This log would include connections opened but never used, port details,
>> connection lifetimes, re-use counts on persistent connections, SSL/TLS
>> presence/version (or not), and other connection details we find a need
>> for later.
>

>> The driver behind this is to help resolve a growing amount of user
>> queries regarding "happy eyeballs" idle connections and broken TLS
>> connections. We are also adding other potentially never-used connections
>> ourselves with the standby pools.
>
> A couple of days ago, I came across another use case for logging
> connections unrelated to Happy Eyeballs. It sounds like this is going to
> be a generally useful feature. My use case is still being clarified, but
> here are the already known non-obvious requirements:

I have an use case, as well: timing logging.
It would be useful to have a chance to log the timing of certain key
moments in a request's processing path. Things like accept, end of
slow acl matching, end of dns resolution(s), connected to uplink, and
so on. This could help administrators identify congestion issues in
their infrastructure.

   Kinkie