Re: [RFC] flag day commits

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:02:28 -0600

FWIW, I agree with a lot of things Henrik is saying below. The most
important ones, for me, are:

* A change designated for a flag-day commit only adds certain
procedures/responsibilities/requirements. It does not remove any of the
key established requirements for a change to get accepted. Thus, getting
a change accepted in the first place is still necessary. That means,
among other things, convincing others that the change does more good
than harm. For example, just removing all HEREs does more harm than good
IMO, regardless of how it is committed (during a "flag day" or not).

* The focus should be on minimizing code porting/maintenance harm.
Designating a special day to do a lot of harm does not help much. On the
other hand, having a script that can automatically apply the change to
any branch is very helpful and can tilt the harm/good balance.

Also, most of the posted examples of "flag day" changes do not need a
special flag day IMO (and some should not happen at all).

Thank you,

Alex.