Re: Squid 3.5 release timetable

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:53:28 -0600

On 07/28/2014 11:53 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 29/07/2014 6:22 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 07/24/2014 10:37 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>>> If any of you have patches lined up for commit or
>>> about to be, please reply to this mail with details so we can triage
>>> what gets in and what can hold off in audit.
>>

>> Here are some of the bigger items on the Factory plate:
>>
>> * Native FTP support (works great; still working on class renaming)
>
> Can you get that to audit this week?

I do not know the answer, but I am working on making that happen right now.

> FYI there are several goal metrics informing the decision to branch:
>
> * major user visible features/changes
> - Going by user visibility are: Large Rock, Collapsed Forwarding, and
> helper *_extras. Possibly also eCAP 1.0.

AFAICT, only Large Rock and perhaps helper extras were frequently
requested or needed (by more than a handful of users). The pending
Native FTP and Peek-and-Splice are major user visible features with lots
of requests/need behind them. Only when taken together, they constitute
enough benefit to outweigh release maintenance/porting overheads IMO.

> * annual stable cycle, (aka. ensuring sponsors wait no more than 1 year
> for their features to get into a stable production release)
> - initial 3.5 features are almost at 10 months now, even if they are minor.

I agree with the goal, but please keep in mind that delaying major
features by two years to release minor features in one year is likely to
reach the opposite of the stated goal of pleasing feature sponsors. And
if the Squid Project decides to switch to the annual cycle, we should
publish the freeze dates a little more than a week in advance!

HTH,

Alex.