Re: cleaning cache_dir/log

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 10:11:21 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Mart Norman wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 1996, Sassan Simai wrote:
>
> > As the "log"-file in the cache_dir directory contains the list of
> > all files which are currently stored in your cache it would't be
> > wise to rotate and empty this file similar to the access and
> > diagnostic logs.
> >
> Does it mean that cache_dir/log is not forever growing logfile but an
> index file which size depends on amount of objects in cache? If it is so
> then everything is OK because my cache size is growing abot 2% per day.
> (about 60 MB)

Something like that. If you want to make sure it is refreshed, send
squid a SIGTERM at 4am each day. It will then rewrite an up to date
cache_dir/log, exit, and rebuild its metadata from the new log file.
Total downtime in which requests are not serviced will be about 1 minute,
which is probably quite acceptable at 4am.

Duane, do you think it would be useful for squid to rotate its
cache_dir/log files. Perhaps by writing out a log.new, and then
unlink(log); rename(log.new, log);

Danny