Re: rewriting Url's

From: Florian Lohoff <flo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:18:38 +0200 (MET DST)

Dave Packham typed this originally:
> I would like to be able to rewrite a url as it comes into the cache so
> that any hits could stay on the cache.
> example below
>
> www.dude.com main web server
>
> and
>
> www.uk.dude.com cache server
>
> A user hits www.uk.dude.com and pulls thru the index.html page with
> references to http://www.dude.com
>
> If the user clicks on this he would "fall off" the cache at
> www.uk.dude.com
>
> If the squid could have an "alias" list something like this
>
> www.dude.com = www.uk.dude.com
>
> and have all instances of www.novell.com rewriten then the user would
> never "fall off" the cache and any other url would be left alone.

This is problematic as these might be different hosts. If they are
not and you aliase them you might one day, if they split those hosts,
not be able to catch the other.

The only way of doing something like this would be to identify all hosts
in the cache via their IP address as this is normally the same.
I don't know what masses of DNS request might come then.

But what about those split www servers like wwwX.netscape.com which
split up to multiple servers via DNS ?

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff, E-Mail flo@mini.gt.owl.de, MacOS, AmigaOS & Linux
Voice: +49-5241-340796  Data: +49-5241-3286/7/8/9 337180/1