Re: How to use a single parent without UDP access

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik.nordstrom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 15:26:56 +0200

> We've been using Harvest, and more recently, Squid, but there have been
> changes to our firewall. This means that using outgoing UDP is not
> possible.

Are you using inside_firewall? Requests outside inside_firewall are always
sent to a parent server (without ping if only one parent).

> Is it possible to specify in the squid.conf file, only to use TCP to a
> parent? (It says to use UDP port 7). I've got single_parent_bypass off,
> but I always see 'DIRECT' in the log file.

You should set single_parent_bypass on, or use inside_firewall.

You probably also want to use local_domain.

> Is it possible to use a parent cache, without UDP? I expect there may be
> many others in this situation.

Yes, if it is the one and only parent.

Do we need to ping algorith: (as I understand it)
1. If local_domain, go direct without pining neghbours or parents
2. If more than one parent, ping to see which one to select
3. If outside firewall, go directly to parent server
4. If single_parent_bypass on, go directly to parent
5. Ping parent and send request to parent if it responds, direct otherwise.

I am not sure how neighbours or local_ip affect this.

---
Henrik Nordstrom