Re: does cache_swap_(high|low) work?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 08:57:52 -0700

ivanl@pacific.net.sg writes:

>does cache_swap_(high|low) work?
>
>I've set:
>
>cache_swap Y
>#cache_swap_low 75 /* default 75% */
>#cache_swap_high 90 /* default 90% */
>
>Our storage is (Y + 1) GB and I'm getting 100% full on 'du'.
>squid is not cleaning its disk cache at (0.9 * Y) like it should.
>
>What's wrong?
>
>ps: squid's logs is not affecting the observations above.

Maybe this is the problem?:

Unlinking swap files on restart and the -U option
When the cache reloads object metadata from disk some of the objects
will be expired or otherwise invalid. In the interest of speed, these
invalid objects will not be removed from the filesystem by default. They
will eventually be overwritten by new objects as enter the cache and
get saved to disk.

The -U option can be used to actually remove the invalid objects from
disk.

In addition, the -z option will not cause 'rm -rf [0-9][0-9]' to be
executed unless the -U option is also given.

When swap files are not removed during restart there internal counters
for disk space taken will not match the actual disk space used. If you
have a large cache or plenty of extra disk space, this should not be a
problem. However, if space is an issue, you may want to use the -U
option at the cost of a slower restart.

Duane W.