Re: Proxy problems

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:02:48 +0000

On Tue 23 Jul, 1996, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:
>BTW, the real solution to the latency problem is may be to use T/TCP. It
>is a transaction-oriented protocol for applications like the Web where
>fast response-times for small documents is important. Any news of HTTP
>over T/TCP?

I read Stevens' intro to it in volume 3 of his TCP/IP illustrated
series. It seemed to me that even support in both client and server
OSs would be a big win, as you can piggy back the HTTP request with
the connection establishment: anyone have any news of what different
vendors are planning? I believe that FreeBSD has an implementation
of T/TCP in test, if not released.

Implementing HTTP Keep-alive for both clients requesting to the proxy
and the proxy requesting to the server would be good, too, but starts
using a *lot* of file descriptors and network resources!

-- jrg.