Re: Squid on digital UNIX

From: Craig Morgan <C.Morgan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:06:39 +0000

At 1:04 am +0000 24/7/96, you wrote:

>I would like to run Squid on the digital UNIX.
>
>But I have just information "The software is designed to operate
>on any modern Unix system, including: AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IRIX,
>Linux, OSF/1, Solaris, and SunOS"
>
>I wonder whether it works well on digital Unix or not.
>
>Any comments will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Lee Chang Hwan E-Mail: clockwiz@nownuri.nowcom.co.kr
>NowCom Co.,Ltd Tel : +82-02-590-3959 Fax : +82-02-537-3988

One gotcha ...

Watch out for the include files installed by recent versions of bind, I
installed Squid onto a box which is also a DNS server, therefore it was
running a newish bind. An entry in /usr/include/arpa/inet.h, is incorrect
in the bind dist, this causes the Alpha to compile but choke on references
to name resolution.

Took me a while to find this one, and thanks to Duane for confirming my
findings regarding the problem ... this basically stops all caching!

gcc and cc don't complain (using normal settings), although insure++ shouts
about it, BTW, it also throws up some bad casts if anyone is interested ...

--
Craig
                            ,,,   Wot, NO mountains!