Burning Bandwidth

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 18:27:16 +0800 (GMT+0800)

Hello,

Wolfgang Klimt wrote (in the squid-users mailing list):

> ratzka@rsrz01.hrz.uni-marburg.de writes:
> >Even "big" sites with high load fail to provide at least
> >"Last-Modified" headers, which are crucial for caching. This is
> >e.g. true for many of Netscape's own pages. So it seems they're not
> >afraid of burning bandwidth...

> I think they do this to get as many hits to their pages as possible.
> They need those hits for their commercial purposes, many hits --> high
> prices for commercial announcements.

This is such a shameful waste. Right now I'm poring over my Squid
store.log to see what sites refuse to be cached - they include
home.netscape.com, loaded up by many newly-installed Navigator
installations; as well as lots of other popular pages. Right now
I'm cooking up some perl to give me stats on how much bytes are
wasted by this counterproductive scheme.

--
miguel a.l. paraz <map@iphil.net> / iphil communications / PGP keyID 0x43F0D011